Georgiana Houghton: Spirit Drawings
The Courtauld Gallery, 16 June – 11 September 2016
- Georgiana Houghton’s remarkable Victorian abstract ‘spirit drawings’ are being exhibited in the United Kingdom for the first time since they were first shown in London in 1871.
- Houghton was a Victorian spiritualist and medium who pioneered the use of drawing as part of her process of communicating with the spirit realm.
- Largely unknown for nearly 150 years, these works are an astonishing product of Victorian culture and a fascinating precursor of twentieth-century abstract art.
- The exhibition runs from 16 June to 11 September 2016 at The Courtauld Gallery, Somerset House, Strand, London WC2R 0RN
- The breakfast press preview is on Wednesday 15 June, 9am – 11am. Details below.
This exhibition explores an astonishing series of largely abstract Victorian watercolours. They were…
View original post 1,003 more words